Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Week 13 Famous Last Words

Finishing Up

This week I only did Reading Diary A, Storytelling, Reading Review, Essay, and this post because i'm pretty close to being done with this class. I can't believe how fast this semester has gone and how close I am to being done with everything! I just need to hunker down and finish up my capstone paper and really kick butt on this huge research proposal i'm working on then i'll be done with my classwork for the semester. All i'll have to worry about is finishing up my practicum hours and getting everything in order for my trip to Tanzania. 

So, here's what's been going on in my life lately:

  • Valir Volunteer Banquet
    • This week I got to attend the Valir Volunteer Banquet which was a wonderful little celebration held by Valir Hospice for its volunteers to show appreciation and let us meet each other and hang out. We had DELICIOUS Mexican food, provided by Ted's Cafe Escondido in OKC. It was so good, there was a fajita bar and plenty of chips and salsa/queso to go around. There was also a country/cowboy music singer who performed for us and he was both a good singer and totally charming. I also got to meet the other social work student, Alyssa, who is doing her master's practicum at Valir. I'm going to be doing my master's practicum there and i'm so so so excited about it! They are such a great company and the people there are truly amazing. I love working with them! Anyway, they also gave us each a little thyme plant for volunteering our time and a little goody bag. Last, they gave us a pair of socks to take to our patients so they'll have toasty toes. 
    • If you are looking for somewhere to volunteer and enjoy working with elderly people, I HIGHLY suggest Valir. 
Alyssa and I at the Valir Volunteer Banquet
4/12/15

My adorable pot of thyme!! 
From the Valir Volunteer Banquet (4/12/15)
  • Calm Waters Under the Big Top Fundraiser
    • This past Sunday was the huge Calm Waters fundraiser called "Under the Big Top." It was circus-themed and featured carnival games, a photo booth with exotic animals, popcorn, yummy hors d'oeuvres from local OKC eateries, a live auction, an aerial silks performer, two wonderful circus performers who did acrobatics and dancing, and drinks. It was a pretty neat shindig and I think everyone had a good time. I was there in a volunteer capacity and was in charge of working the photo booth. Man, did I luck out! I ended up acting as an unofficial third animal handler and got to hold onto the sweetest little animals all night. I got to hold a kangaroo joey, a lemur, a fennec fox, a cockatoo, a blue-tongued skink, a baby crocodile, and a bearded dragon. I loved it! The cockatoo surprised me because birds don't usually like me, and I don't usually like them. However, this was the sweetest bird ever! I held him for 20 minutes or so and he rested his head on my chest and licked my collarbone. He cooed and me and put his head on my forehead. He was so adorable and I felt totally comfortable holding him. I wanted to take him home! I also loved the energetic little lemur who climbed up in my hair and jumped on unsuspecting passersby. However, I think the kangaroo joey stole the show. She was so sweet and totally adorable (and so soft!). I also got to work with some really nice people from TapSnap, a next-gen photo entertainment company. Them and the animals really made my night. Plus, Calm Waters got some great donations and raised some money to help out kiddos who're dealing with loss. 
Me with Carlos, the Cockatoo
taken by the TapSnap crew at the Calm Waters Fundraiser (4/12/15)

Me with Princess Elsa, the Kangaroo Joey
Taken at Under the Big Top (4/12/15)

Me with Princess Elsa, the Kangaroo Joey

Taken at Under the Big Top (4/12/15)
  • Instagram 
    • Here's the pictures I posted on Instagram this week. It's just a selfie and my sweet BooBoo Kitty. I'm totally obsessed with my cat. Give me a follow if you want :) my Instagram is testiclefestival aka Bria Waters. I know the name is weird, but it's from high school and it cracks me up, so I haven't changed it. 
So fresh and so clean.
 Boomer Sooner! 

Sleepy Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment