Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Week 15 Online Education Review

Please share your thoughts about online education in general and also your experiences in particular.

  • I love online classes. I think it gives students an opportunity to learn on their own time and gives instructors an opportunity to get creative with coursework. I loved that this class was set up where we had to keep blogs. It was so fun and didn't feel like a chore to work on! However, I do not think language and math classes should be taken online only because they are so difficult and do not offer that one-on-one assistance that may be necessary to help people (like me) understand math concepts. As for language classes, I think the back-and-forth interaction in a physical classroom really helps you learn the language. Hearing it spoken throughout class and having to speak it conversationally just makes a huge difference in how you store that new language information in your mind. 

What features of online courses are most/least valuable to you?

  • Most valuable: ability to work on it in my downtime or anywhere that has access to internet
  • Least valuable: with harder concepts, I prefer face-to-face interaction and explanation

Would you take more fully online courses if they were available?

  • Oh, definitely! I really have enjoyed my online courses at OU and felt like they were a great asset, especially since i've had to work while i've been in college. 

If you were to design a fully online course, what would it look like?

  • I would probably steal your idea of using a blog to turn in assignments. You really helped me learn how to use internet resources by having us use the site and do tech tips. Also, it seems less formal and more like a fun activity. I also would like to incorporate the Famous Last Words assignments, because it helped me, as a student, decompress from the week and gave me an outlet to talk about what i've been up to. It also helps the professor and other students get to know each other which is a little tough to do in an online class. I liked your use of social media too. I wont lie, I think your style for online classes is perfect. You have an online textbook made of awesome resources/stores, your assignments are a great length, you have variety in what we are supposed to do, there's plenty of extra credit opportunities, and the blogs let our personalities shine through. I love it and was so lucky to have gotten the opportunity to take both your Indian Epics and Mythology and Folklore classes. They have been some of my favorite classes and i've really enjoyed them! 
P.S. I liked the picture of the cat on the page where you told us how to do these posts, so I decided to post some awesome cats too!

Zombie Cat
found on LOLFactory

Doctor Who Cats
by Jenny Parks, found on The Laughing Squid

Waffles the Cat as Sherlock Characters
found on Tumblr 




No comments:

Post a Comment